30 May 2007

Funeral homily - Nothing can separate us

From homily on 30th May 2007 at Robin Hood Crematorium
Romans 8:31-end

When someone close to us dies we become aware of the importance of our relationships. Death brings about separation and loss, but the love that we have for one another remains, and continues to be important to us.
Ultimately all love comes from God, who is love. We know that ???? had a strong belief in God. In the reading that we had earlier we heard St Paul affirm that nothing in creation can separate us from the love of God. He said, “For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
I don’t know about you, but I find this tremendously reassuring. What ever disasters come (including death) I can continue to trust in the love of God. I can continue to believe that he wants my good, and works for my good. And I can try to love other people as God loves me, and, if by God’s grace I manage that a little, then that love starts to take on the supernatural and eternal qualities of God’s love for me.
So as we go away from this place, let us feel confident that we have entrusted ??? to God’s great mercy. Let us feel confident that the true love that we have shared is something that will remain. Let us allow the love of God to penetrate and sustain all our relationships so that when we in our due turn come to die, something of enduring value will remain.

No comments: