01 November 2007

Live Simply – Our Global Challenge

Article for Parish Magazine, published November 2007

God calls us to look hard at our lifestyles and to choose to live simply, sustainably and in solidarity with the poor.
In this way we can help create a world in which human dignity is respected and everyone can reach their full potential.
This would be true progress, worth more than economic growth alone.
This is how the Live Simply project introduces itself on its website at www.livesimply.org.uk. As time goes by I find more and more to admire in this way of thinking and living. It seems to me that seeking to live a simpler life can often be an authentic Christian response to many of the difficulties and problems that we face in western society today. I am thinking particularly of problems like consumerism, individualism, global warming and isolation of the poor. Here are some example of ways of “living simply”:
If I grow some of my own vegetables then I don’t have to buy my vegetables from the big supermarkets. My awareness of the earth, its soil and the weather grows. This helps to keep me “grounded” as a human being and increases my environmental awareness. The work involved gives me fresh air an exercise, making me less dependent on the gym. If I grow too many vegetables and chose to share some then a communitarian aspect of this project starts to develop. I am minimizing my carbon footprint because no transport is involved in the sourcing of my vegetables. I am showing solidarity with the poor by not using money to secure my vegetables.
If I buy a smaller, simpler car, rather than a big high status car, then the car has lower carbon emissions. I am less isolated from other people as I drive around and I undermine consumerism by saying “I am not dependent on a big car to feel good about myself”. I am less isolated from the poor than if I drive a high status car. Of course, all these effects are increased even further if I choose to go by bus or by bicycle rather than use a car.
If, in our family, we relax by playing a card game together rather than by watching TV or playing electronic games then we spend the evening in a more communal way. We build up the relationships among ourselves, we spend less money on electronic games, we use no electricity, we watch no adverts and we learn games which can be played by the poor.
Now, for me personally (and probably for many people in Solihull) this is very challenging! As a family we do grow some vegetables, but I personally do very little in the garden. I drive a biggish car and am very dependent on screen based entertainment! However I do see the point of “living simply”. I can also see that it is very counter cultural to our consumer society and all the marketing messages that we absorb consciously and unconsciously in our day to day lives.
On the evening of 16th November 2007, I shall be exploring this theme further by attending a lecture entitled “Live Simply – our global challenge” by Brazilian Sociologist Vera Araújo. The lecture is a major event; CAFOD's annual Paul VI Lecture in the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre, Westminster. If anyone else is interested in coming along then please let me know.
– Fr Gerard

No comments: